If you have Diabetes, taking care of your feet is critically important. You need to find the very best walking shoes for diabetics, in size and style that fit your feet and your lifestyle.
Don’t settle for plain old pair of sneakers.
Diabetic Neuropathy (diabetic nerve damage) of the foot is a common complication of diabetes. In the early stages, diabetic neuropathy may cause foot pain and limit your ability to walk. As the disorder advances, it can lead to loss of sensation in your feet, foot ulcers and even amputation in extreme cases.
If you have been diagnosed with peripheral diabetic neuropathy you need to make foot care an immediate priority. That begins with a Good Pair of Shoes.
Diabetic walking shoes are available in at least 3 widths ( M, W, XW,) and must have an easy, reliable means of closure such as velcro. They also typically feature an extra 3/16″ interior depth to accommodate orthotics.
For high-risk diabetic patients, protective shoes and insoles are a mainstay of preventing foot ulcers. Many of the best diabetic walking shoes feature a removable insole that can be replaced by your custom orthotics or off-the-shelf insoles such as Superfeet This is an important feature because many diabetics must wear shoe inserts such as arch supports, lifts, insoles or a heel wedge.
If you have uncontrolled blood glucose levels or a history of foot complications, such as ulcers, you may need the extra level of protection you’ll find in therapeutic shoes or specialty shoes for diabetics with neuropathy. Be sure to consult your doctor about the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy.
Buying shoes online is the best way to find the perfect fit.
I have to admit, I was skeptical at first. But buying shoes from Amazon beats the heck out of driving from one store to another, only to get skunked on sizes and styles.
There are only a few shops in my town that carry shoes designed specifically for walking. There are a lot of hiking boots, and tons of running shoes, but very few walking shoes. So even if I drove to every single store I was often left with only a few lousy choices. And it’s even worse if you’re looking for shoes for diabetics.
With Amazon, there are hundreds of choices. We recommend that you order at least two different shoes, in two different sizes each. Then put them on and wear them around the house for at least half an hour.
Take your time. Walk around in them. Go up and down the stairs and make sure they don’t slip, pinch or grab. That’s the best way to decide. (Just don’t wear them outside.)
Then send back the pairs that aren’t your top choice. Returns are easy, especially if you have Amazon Prime. Prime customers get free shipping all the time. But even if you pay for shipping, it’s a lot better than buying the wrong pair of shoes for diabetic feet.
Best walking shoes for diabetics:
Dr. Zen specializes in shoes for diabetics. The heal and the toe are slightly curved forcing the foot to walk properly. The rocker bottom coupled with the ridged shank, aid in re-aligning ground forces and encourage a normal gait and aid in maintaining a neutral position. They also have the extra depth that many diabetics need.
Dr. Comfort shoes are designed to sustain the highest levels of foot health, especially for people living with diabetes and other foot conditions including Arthritis, Morton’s Neuroma, Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis, swelling, bunions, hammertoes and more. With these shoes, health and fashion can coexist.
Best diabetic shoes:
Drew Shoes Morgan Women’s Therapeutic Diabetic Extra Depth Shoe Mesh Velcro
The Dunham Cloud hiking boots for diabetics come in extra wide widths to accommodate many of the podiatric problems which diabetics are prone to. This extra width also means that the shoes are less likely to rub, which makes them more comfortable and less likely to damage the foot.
Best walking shoes for diabetics:
New Balance has several models of sneakers for diabetics. The midsole design provides resistance to compression and unique cushioning. Pronation and rear foot movement are controlled with the ROLLBAR New Balance technology.
Orthofeet’s innovative shoe construction along with the anatomical orthotic insoles has helped millions of users improve mobility, enhance comfort from heel to toe, and get the ultimate protection for diabetic feet.
Comfort Diabetic Walking Shoe
Best Walking Shoes for Diabetics
Since its beginning in 1985, Propét has been driven by a mission to offer quality footwear for hard-to-fit feet or feet in need of special care. They make some of the best walking shoes for diabetics—offering a large selection of widths and sizes and styles to ensure the right fit and comfort in every shoe. Propét is well known for its TravelWalker collection—popular for their comfort and versatility—and its line of therapeutic footcare products approved for Diabetic footwear. In collaboration with its podiatric advisors, Propét has developed the patent-pending Rejuve footwear collection to bring revolutionary technology to footcare. Rejuve Motion Technology works by enhancing natural gait and helps to alleviate foot and lower body pain often associated with over-pronation and the improper functioning of the foot.
SAS women’s Walk Easy shoes for diabetic feet
SAS Men’s Journey Walking shoes
- SAS Foot-Shape® Last: Developed and crafted by the SAS Shoemakers to follow the natural shape of your foot. Provides all-day comfort with firm heel support and exclusive EZ Lace system provides no bite across the instep.
- SAS Cool Step™ Footbed: Our CoolStep™ removable footbed is designed to keep the foot dry and comfortable all day long. The anti-friction top cover inhibits heat, providing a cooler surface underfoot. The bottom layer wicks away moisture while cushioning each step. SAS CoolStep footbeds are antibacterial and washable for a healthy foot environment.
- SAS Tri-Pad® Comfort System: The green odor-resistant Tri-Pad system cushions the 3 pressure points of your foot; the inside ball, outside ball, and the heel. This patented material never loses its shock-absorbing capacity.
- SAS Arcfit™ Heel Stabilizer Gives firm but gentle support to encourage proper heel strike on all types of surfaces.
- SAS SteadyTrac™ Midsole: The SAS SteadyTrac™ Midsole is a shock-absorbing flexible lightweight unit with a forepart stabilizer that provides lateral stability throughout the walk cycle. The Cradlefit™ heel stabilizer gives a firm but gentle support to encourage proper heel strike on all types of surfaces.
- SAS Comfort Outsole™: SAS Comfort Outsole™ is a flexible, durable rubber compound. SAS Comfort Outsole™ is designed to provide maximum grip and comfort in a non-marking compound designed to cushion your foot on the trail or street.