One thing that’s great about walking… there’s very little equipment involved.
But there are a few accessories, like pedometers, that will make your walks or hikes more enjoyable and more productive, especially if you’re out for serious fitness.
There is a huge variety of walking poles, hiking socks, insoles and orthotics, water bottles and hydration packs, pedometers and gadgets.
Be sure to check our blog posts for more info on each product category.
Improve your workouts and insure stability with a good pair of walking & trekking poles
Everyone knows that walking is great exercise. But walking with trekking poles is even better. If you want to increase the fitness level of your walks, or lose a little weight, trekking poles are the answer.
Poles turn your walk into a whole-body workout. Poles engage the bicepts, tricepts, shoulders and upper back. So you burn more calories… up to 50% more in fact.
Black Diamond’s Trail trekking poles have many great Black Diamond features at an economical price.
The three piece, ultralight, narrow diameter aluminum shafts reduce weight without sacrificing strength. The dual FlickLock 2 pole locking mechanisms allow for easy length adjustment. The adjustable 360 degree Padded Wrist Straps are Left and Right hand specific for added comfort. They feature Interchangeable Tech Tips with WaveLock technology to easily switch from Rubber or Carbide tips depending on the terrain you are hiking on.
Pamper your feet and prevent blisters with the highest quality hiking socks
A good pair of walking shoes won’t help if you insist on wearing cheap, worn-out old socks. Good socks will keep your feet warm, dry and comfortable, even in the roughest terrain.
All socks are NOT created equal.
All my life I’ve scrimped on socks, not willing to pay what I thought were ridiculous prices for one pair. Boy was I wrong! The first time I slipped on a pair of these, my feet fell in love. They fit perfectly, they’re soft and cushy, and there are no seams to bug you.
- Best Running Socks for Men and Women – Cushioned quarter-style fits comfortably with any running shoes, tennis shoes, or walking shoes. Find the perfect color to match your running shorts, workout pants, compression sleeves, or other gear.
- Prevent blisters and reduce impact. The vogue running socks feature padded technology in the toe and heel area – proprietary padding to reduce impact and provide abrasion resistance.
- Feet Stay Dry – COOLMAX® fabric is engineered to provide superior moisture wicking and keep your feet dry even under the toughest conditions; Mesh construction design on the top of socks creates airflow within the fabric that enables your skin to breathe.
- Premium Comfort Fit – A deep heel pocket, seamless toe, and light arch support provides the perfect fit and ensures the socks stay in place even doing strenuous exercise.
Prevent injuries and stay on your feet longer with Insoles & Orthotics
Aftermarket insoles and orthotics can greatly enhance the comfort of most walking shoes and allow you more time on your feet.
Here’s the problem… The stock insoles that come in most shoes and boots are woefully inadequate. They’re literally nothing more than a flimsy, flat foam pad, not more than a 16th inch thick. They provide almost no heel padding or arch support whatsoever. So if you have plantar faciitis or any minor foot pain, it’s a good idea to try a more substantial arch support in your walking shoes.
Superfeet Blue Premium Insoles
I started using Superfeet insoles in my ski boots 20 years ago, and now they’re standard equipment in all my shoes.
Even after visiting a custom orthotic maker, these are still my choice.
Long-lasting support packed into a thinner, high-performance insole, Superfeet BLUE were designed to improve the overall fit and performance of a wide range of footwear. The biomechanical shape and design have made the BLUE one of Superfeet’s most popular insoles year after year.
Superfeet BLUE are medium-profile insoles with the shape that can fit into most footwear while providing intermediate support.
Superfeet BLUE fit most types of low and medium-volume footwear, even some with non-removable factory insoles.
1. Stabilizer Cap: The rails reinforce the narrow cap to provide structure and support.
2. Heel Cup: Helps position the heel to naturally absorb impact.
3. Bio-Mechanical Shape: The medium-profile shape puts biomechanical support under your foot, but takes up less space in the shoe.
4. High-Density Foam Layer: Closed-cell foam supports and cushions the foot for long-lasting comfort.
5. Organic, Odor-Control Coating: All natural coating that eliminates odor-causing bacteria.
Stay hydrated. Don’t get caught without a water bottle or hydration pack.
Nothing ruins a nice, summer walk faster than leg cramps. You can easily avoid that by stretching and staying hydrated.
Things have improved dramatically since the good ‘ol days of metal canteens.
There are back-pack bladder hydration systems from brands like Camel Back and Ogio. that hold two standard water bottles.
There are even water bottle dumbbells that you can carry with to you work your arms as you walk.
Camelback is the original, and I can attest to the solid design, functionality, and attention to detail. I use mine all the time – for walking, skiing and mountain biking – and it works great. I don’t put anything in it other than water… never juice or gatorade or anything messy like that, and the bladder’s lasting forever! And hi viz is always a good safety measure.
- Advice on walking shoes from a professional walker
- Wrist Pedometers – Track your walking, get motivated, lose weight.
- High-quality socks – The best socks for walking and hiking.
- Best Walking Shoes For Diabetics – For feet in need of special care
- How to choose the best walking shoes and avoid bad shoe purchases